Now, that I got people talking...

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 21:38:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Ricardo Garcia <rick.g777 at gmail.com> wrote:
> If anyone knows of a codec library besides ffmpeg that I can use, please share.
.
Does xine-libs work for you?

> Finally, what are the patent-encumbered formats and codecs that ffmpeg
> (I mean libavcodec and libavformat) includes? Having a particular list
> would be very helpful.

To get an idea of what is being talked about.  Take a look at
xine-lib, xine-lib-extras as packaged in Fedora then look at
xine-lib-extras-nonfree as packaged in Livna.  You may want to have a
discussion with the xine-lib and xine-lib-extras-nonfree maintainer(s)
concerning the history on how such a split was decided.

You'll note that even xine-lib-extras-nonfree ends up using
libavcodec.  Quite frankly I don't think there is a way to avoid using
libavcodec for somethings. The ultimate problem is ffmpeg has made no
effort to make it easy to use what libavcodec provides in a modular
fashion and lump all capability into a compile time choices instead of
run time detection.

-jef