Recruiting Students (Campus Ambassadors)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 17:27:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Jack Aboutboul <jaa at redhat.com> wrote:
> Just thought I would kick the idea out to the list and see what people
> had to say.  My plan is to put up a wiki page for this tomorrow or over
> the weekend, so that it can be presented next week.

I think there are a lot of people chomping at the bit to get something
done.  A framework to work inside of would help a lot.  But beyond
just being a rep... we need some guidance on how to tell students and
faculty how to take on Fedora relevant work as academic projects.

>From my personal point of view, I already know what Fedora relevant
work I want to encourage students to work on. I don't need a list of
ideas, nor do I need a list of mentors. I'm pretty sure I can find
individual existing contributors who would take on a student if I
knock on the right doors inside our project.

But what I need to know is some advice on how to approach both
students and faculty in a way that they continue to be open to the
subtly corrosive effects of my continued manipulation. What are the
selling points that I need to stress to the students? What are the
selling points I need to stress to the faculty who are going to end up
giving students some sort of academic credit and possibly a grade for
the work as part of their academic career?

-jef