Screencast Ideas wiki

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 03:29:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Michael Beckwith
<michael.d.beckwith at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's a page for anyone to add to the list of ideas for screencasts.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/ScreencastIdeas

Okay to take this to the next step, here's is what I need someone to
do. I need someone or a group of someone's to watch this page for new
videos and then turn the information into this page into an rss feed
that we can view in miro.  You'd have to manually add new screencasts
to the miro feed for the time being.  For the time being lets stick to
an english feed.  As we collect more videos we can think about redoing
the audio in different languages and setting up additional language
specific feeds using the alternative audio tracks.

We should probably consider changing the format of that table to
include several useful tags that miro knows how to parse. if we are
really clever we will construct a wikipage that we can parse with a
tool and generate the miro feed once we settle on a format for the
information.  Yes, I realize that we shouldn't do this manually in the
long term, but for the time being so we can experiment with the entire
process including miro as our preferred viewer of this sort of
community generated content.

Anyone want to volunteer to generate the associated rss feed meant to
be used in miro?  Starting with Clint's video as the first rss entry.

Following the format that Jon Roberts gave us in another post would
want to be able to construct rss entries from the collected wiki
information that look like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<rss version="2.0">
  <channel>
     <title>Fedora Project</title>
     <link>http://fedoraproject.org</link>
     <description>Find out all about the Fedora Project, from
screencast tutorials to video interviews with members of our
community.</description>
     <language>en-us</language>
     <pubDate>Wed, 21 May 2008 21:04:00 GMT</pubDate>
     <lastBuildDate>Wed, 21 May 2008 21:04:00 GMT</lastBuildDate>
     <docs>http://www.rssboard.org/rss-specification</docs>
     <managingEditor>jonrob at fedoraproject.org</managingEditor>
     <webMaster>webmaster at fedoraproject.org</webMaster>
     <item>
        <title>GVFS</title>
        <link>http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/screencasts/GVFS.ogg</link>
        <description>Have you heard about Gnome's new GVFS system? It
lets you copy multiple files at once, queues transfers and keeps track
of everything you're doing in one neat window.</description>
        <pubDate>Wed, 21 May 2008 21:04:00 GMT</pubDate>
        <enclosure url="http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/screencasts/GVFS.ogg"
length="4064708" type="video/x-theora+ogg" />
        <guid>http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/screencasts/GVFS.ogg</guid>
     </item>
  </channel>
</rss>