Boxed version of Fedora

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Mar 21 21:46:15 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram escribió:
> As the current FAQ maintainer and the one who added that particular
> answer to the FAQ, let me point out some details for additional context.
>
> ---
>
> When Red Hat decided to create the Red Hat Linux Project which later
> got renamed in Fedora Project, Red Hat published this particular
> answer as a  result of it's experience (and dealing with loses in a
> retail product) while creating Red Hat Linux releases roughly twice a
> year and I copied it over from http://fedora.redhat.com pages when I
> created the FAQs since I knew that site was going away soon at that time.
>
> A lot of details have changed and Fedora Project of today is a
> different beast (or angel if you will). We could certainly reevaluate
> our considerations and IMO we should.
>
> Rahul

This is very interesting indeed, and I was chatting about this very
issue with a friend not so long ago. We both have been Red Hat users
since a long time (me from RHL 5.0 and he from 6.0). While indeed a
retail model wouldn't completely suit Fedora, especially when there is a
Fedora release every 6 months, what we thought could be a possible
solution was to retail Fedora every other release. Usually the Spring
release is an odd number release (like forth coming 9), and Fall
releases are even numbers (for instance, last November's Fedora 8), so
why not focus either of these releases as the retail release? That would
mean that a new retail version would be out every ~12 months instead of
every 6 months, avoiding the management nightmare that a semestral
release would be.