Single sourced summary (was Re: Beta Release Notes)

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 01:22:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 19:50 +0000, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> On 01/03/2008, Marc Wiriadisastra <marc at mwiriadi.id.au> wrote:
> >
> > So whats going on with the single source summary then does that get
> >  replaced with the beta release notes?

The Alpha/Beta release notes (single wiki page) are a subset of the
SingleSourceSummary.

> I think so for now Marc...got my head in a big spin with the
> SingleSourceSummary! Not sure anybody totally understands it actually,
> though perhaps Karsten does and when he returns things may look
> rosier. For now though, feel free to move content from SSS or add
> stuff to the Release Notes :)

FWIW, Paul may also understand it, so we have being-hit-by-a-bus
protection.

Does this explanation work? ::

Problem -- multiple summaries (relnotes, press releases, wiki pages,
announcements, blog entries, articles) being written for a given release
(Alpha, Beta, RC, Gold), all repeating work; no clear place to go for a
good _summary_ of a given release.

Solution -- one single page that contains all the _potential_ content
(source) for any one of the given target summaries.  Call this the
SingleSourceSummary (SSS).

What the SSS is not --

        It is not a page meant to be read of itself:  two sections may
        contain nearly identical content but be written in two styles,
        such as "Big and happy!" and "Terse and descriptive".

        It does not require a consistent writing style for sections:
        see above examples

        Stable:  expect it to change constantly; don't use it with an
        Include() macro but copy/fork

What the SSS is --

        A resource for *anyone* writing about a given Fedora release

        A collaboration amongst various parts of Fedora -- Marketing,
        Docs, Rel Eng, etc.

--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org