Strategies and Tactics

Jeffrey Tadlock linux at elfshadow.net
Wed Mar 5 04:07:23 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Jonathan Roberts
<jonathan.roberts.uk at googlemail.com> wrote:
>  So following from last weeks meeting, I've begun filling out the
>  strategies and tactics section on the marketing plan. It's sparse
>  right now (and possible I've misunderstood the concept behind some of
>  the bits!).

First, we need to clone you!  :-)

>  Jeroen (and all), what do you think thus far? I think we're going to
>  need some input from RH who (or so I hear through the grape vine) have
>  offered advice on the strategies and tactics section. Max, you said
>  you'd be able to put us in touch?

I think you have a solid start to getting that section filled out.
I'll just offer my comments and try to not ramble as it nears my time
for sleep...

Product:
I agree, we are more than just an operating system.  You catch most of
other parts of Fedora Project quite well with the Product Overview
list.  I wonder if we should add more detail to the items listed in
Product Overview?  Push the spins a little more as well?

Release Information and Key Changes looks pretty clear and simple. The
links to the Feature List and Release Notes fill in the missing
detail.

Price:
I'm not sure you would even lead with price for people who are outside
the free/open source community.  I think it was someone on the mailing
lists that said as salesperson you never lead with price - lead with
features and what it can do for you.  Then when you have people
wanting that product they will start asking how much is it going to
cost them you tell them that it is at no cost to them.

And as you said it shouldn't be promoted above the principles of the
project.  We would need to really learn how to showcase what Fedora
can do for you, but I think that's part of what this whole exercise is
about.

Promotion:
There must be some more ways we could promote, but my brain isn't thinking.

I think you've done a great job getting the ball going on this
section.  Hopefully we can get some more discussion going on this
topic....

~Jeffrey