Need to do something about Freemedia India.

Siddharth Upmanyu siddharth at techbugs.org
Sun Mar 16 08:25:55 UTC 2008

On 3/16/08, subhodip biswas <subhodip at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 10:51 AM, susmit shannigrahi
>  <thinklinux.ssh at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  >  This is about current condition of Freemedia _India_.
>  >  Saying in a line... It is badly messed up.
>  >
>  >  Counting from Dec 2007 to March 2008 we have *17* fulfilled request
>  >  and ~380 pending requests.
>  >  That indicates only one thing, its going to shut down in near future.
>  >
>  >  So lets do something about it.
>  >
>  >  My suggestions are
>  >
>  >  1. Let's gather from contributors how many DVDs are available for the
>  >  month and accept that many requests only.
>

> +1 for that . Loads of pending request discourage users
>

>  >  For that we can give contributors a week's time to declare and then
>  >  open the request form.
>  >  For a month if there is no contributor, there will be no requests.
>  >  However, thats not going to increase the quantity of media.
>  >  But this will ensure all requests are fulfilled.
>  >
>  >  2. Lets make posting of Blank Media compulsory for requesting Freemedia.
>  >  Thats going to cost INR 20-25 at max.
>  >  Well, that will create a negative impression no doubt, but the current
>  >  situation is not bright either.
>

> A suggestion may be is to have regional requests as as to break up
>  requests into modules .this actually lowers the load on free media
>  team .
>  Existing fedora ambassadors may help in this .
>

>  >  For those who genuinely want to use Fedora but don't have that much
>  >  bandwidth, it may be helpful.
>  >
>  >
>  >  Any other suggestions?
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >  --
>  >  Regards,
>  >  Susmit.
>  >
>  >  =============================================
>  >  ssh
>  >  0x86DD170A
>  >  http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/SusmitShannigrahi
>  >  =============================================
>  >

>  --
>
> Regards
>  Subhodip Biswas
>
>  GPG key : FAEA34AB
>  Server : pgp.mit.edu
>  http://subhodipbiswas.wordpress.com
>  http:/www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/SubhodipBiswas
>

>  --

The Most obvious problem is contribution... we have very less active
India Ambassadors and there appears no real solution in near future...
as it is initiated.. to send a blank media  .. should be an option not
a requirement (my view) ..

as i see it we first need a saparate freemedia request form where we
can put proper information and restrictions.. i can work like this :
1. in the last week of every month we (India Ambassadors) decide on
freemedia capacity
2. when the form open the decided number of requests are allowed .
3. when the limit is reached .. the users are given option to send a
blank media with return envelop to get the Fedora Media

Regards
Siddharth