Mandriva supports eee

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Thu Mar 20 16:05:19 UTC 2008

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 09:34 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
>>
>> All it takes really is someone (or a group of someones) to step up and
>> create a fedora SIG to produce/support such a thing.
>
> I actually emailed a group of people, including the Eeedora maintainer
> and some Fedora contributors, to encourage the formation of this type of
> effort in February, and the thread moved a little bit before trailing
> off.  I'm not sure we can host Eeedora itself due to some (*sigh*)
> nonfree bits required by the hardware vendor's implementation, but we
> certainly can and should bring some more eyeballs to the work.

I don't own an Eee PC don't play to buy one at least until the second
generation (with a bigger display) will get out (expected this summer)
but if I had such a device I would want to install a full Fedora, not a
bastardized version of it (I may consider the Xfce spin if it is too
slow for GNOME).
This is why I am curious why (if) Eee PC is not supported by Fedora
out-of-the box. As I understand from the linked article, Mandriva works
OOTB on Eee PC, only with some minor issues. It is not the same with Fedora?

Several other similar devices are released or are expected to be
released during the F9 life cycle (Cloudbook, MSI Wind, etc.) so I think
its is a worthy goal to have Fedora usable on them.