news.fedoraproject.org

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 03:27:18 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 17:04 -0600, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Evening all,
>
> We've been talking for a while about setting up a news.fedoraproject.org
> site, for a number of different uses. Thanks to the hard work of Frank
> Chiulli we now have a test install of Lyceum on publictest 1 for our use :)
> Before moving forward with this, we need to deal with a number of issues:
>
> 1) What do we actually want to use the site for?
>
> My thoughts are that we use it for Fedora Weekly News, along with other
> marketing stuff such as interviews and announcements - similar to what
> press.redhat.com is.
>
> 2) Depending on the above, do we want to use Lyceum or Wordpress? Infra
> would like us to have whatever solution we use packaged and yumable on
> Fedora; Wordpress is already in while Lyceum needs packaging. As I
> understand it Lyceum allows us to have multiple blogs and is what's used by
> Red Hat Magazine. Wordpress only allows for the one blog, but would also
> allow multiple authors/editors on a single blog (I think).

Wordpress MU is, aiui, the multiple-blog system.  Lyceum was a fork of
Wordpress to do multiple-blogs from one install, and they've worked to
rebase on Wordpress regularly.  However, Wordpress MU is the formal
effort from Wordpress itself, so it might grow to be stronger with the
rest of Wordpress.  It would presumably play more nicely with plugins,
etc., but I've no experience there.  Here it is in the words of WP
themselves:

http://mu.wordpress.org/faq/

I wouldn't put a ton of weight on what Red Hat Magazine is using.  It
could be switched at any time, right?  At the time that RHM was put
together using a blog engine, Lyceum was the clear choice.

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41