news.fedoraproject.org

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Wed Mar 26 04:02:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 17:04 -0600, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > Evening all,
> >
> > We've been talking for a while about setting up a news.fedoraproject.org
> > site, for a number of different uses. Thanks to the hard work of Frank
> > Chiulli we now have a test install of Lyceum on publictest 1 for our use :)
> > Before moving forward with this, we need to deal with a number of issues:
> >
> > 1) What do we actually want to use the site for?
> >
> > My thoughts are that we use it for Fedora Weekly News, along with other
> > marketing stuff such as interviews and announcements - similar to what
> > press.redhat.com is.
> >
> > 2) Depending on the above, do we want to use Lyceum or Wordpress? Infra
> > would like us to have whatever solution we use packaged and yumable on
> > Fedora; Wordpress is already in while Lyceum needs packaging. As I
> > understand it Lyceum allows us to have multiple blogs and is what's used by
> > Red Hat Magazine. Wordpress only allows for the one blog, but would also
> > allow multiple authors/editors on a single blog (I think).
>
> Wordpress MU is, aiui, the multiple-blog system.  Lyceum was a fork of
> Wordpress to do multiple-blogs from one install, and they've worked to
> rebase on Wordpress regularly.  However, Wordpress MU is the formal
> effort from Wordpress itself, so it might grow to be stronger with the
> rest of Wordpress.  It would presumably play more nicely with plugins,
> etc., but I've no experience there.  Here it is in the words of WP
> themselves:
>
> http://mu.wordpress.org/faq/
>
> I wouldn't put a ton of weight on what Red Hat Magazine is using.  It
> could be switched at any time, right?  At the time that RHM was put
> together using a blog engine, Lyceum was the clear choice.

We actually had a lot of problems getting MU going.  Especially as it
relates to some simple things (like using https instead of http) which
required changes to the code itself :-/  Frank Chiulli is the primary
Infrastructure contact on that right now though, he actually went through
all the steps to get it up and going.

	-Mike