Co-branding?

Francesco Ugolini fugolini at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 26 17:04:52 UTC 2008

2008/3/26, JoergSimon <jsimon at fedoraproject.org>:
> Am Mittwoch, 26. März 2008 02:20:03 schrieb Rahul Sundaram:
>
> -1 from me
>  Rahul, the 1.April is next week ;-)
>  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RedHatContributions <- is this not enough?

I agree with Joerg.

Let me explain the reason

I think I'm one of the few contributors who joined fedora as it is,
without knowing what Red Hat was, just knowing it was a sponsor.

Red Hat is helping the project with a lot (really a lot) of resources,
employers and support, but, meanwhile, fedora is facing its own
branding process: it has its community, its values and its
perspective. I think many people are joining the project because they
discovered directly it, they met fedora people, they joined events and
saw our logo. Many times I read in the blog that Fedora is a
distribution for Sysadmin, but it's not completely true: it's for
everyone, and it's not only a distribution, it's a community project.

Yes, RH is really helping us. According to Joerg post, fedora is
demonstrating the great reconnaissance to RH, but according to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Conduct (for ambassadors,
but it could be extended to the whole project), we are not allowed to
abuse of RH name, even if it gives us resource, just because we didn't
receive the permit from our GREAT sponsor. And I agree completely with
such position: we are offering a service that differs in many way with
a business, we are here to produce a free and open source OS (and
community services) for people, like me, and this way gives us
different goals, strategies, etc...

Red Hat is, and will remain, our point of reference for its values,
for the people and the resources it gives to make this project one of
the best i ever seen.

I think everyone who really know fedora know how RH is helping us, and
i think it the biggest prize we can give it.

Regards

Francesco Ugolini