Co-branding?

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 26 20:40:51 UTC 2008

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> We've already spend lots of effort getting rid of the widely spread
>> prejudice of being Red Hat's pre-enterprise private little playground
>> project or distribution, and explaining that we're actually a
>> community powered project instead (Yes, sponsored by Red Hat. Yes,
>> upstream to Red Hat's Enterprise Linux product *and proud of it, might
>> I add*).
>>
>> I'm not even sure we actually did get rid of that prejudice entirely.
>> It may still exist in some people's heads.
>>
>> Anyway, correctly and fully exposing how Fedora is related to Red Hat,
>> and how that works for both the community and Red Hat, with mere
>> mortals on the one side, and business customers on the other, is way
>> more important then getting the long-term users back on board because
>> they missed out on Red Hat renaming the free/gratis distribution to
>> Fedora, making Red Hat their Enterprise product.
>>
>> Honestly, I don't think it's our problem someone missed out on all
>> this  back in the day. If they're really interested / valuable as
>> contributors, it'll come naturally. If not, it'll still come naturally
>> with the work of our Ambassadors and thanks to other exposure.
>
> Dell has provided Fedora with some resources so we have their logo up in
> spots, I think on some of the 404 pages and elsewhere, to give them
> credit for helping Fedora out.
>
> Doesn't Red Hat deserve some kudos for helping Fedora out as well...?

Just to clarify - I don't mean co-branding as putting the Red Hat brand
at the same level as the Fedora brand. No way. But listing Red Hat as a
sponsor of the project, just as we would list any other sponsor, seems
fair and appropriate to me personally.

(full disclosure: I do work for Red Hat, but I wouldn't let that
influence an opinion like this)

~m