news.fedoraproject.org

Jonathan Roberts jonrob at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 31 19:06:17 UTC 2008

> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > So people,
> >
> > what are we doing about this next?
> >
> > It seems that there are a number of good reasons for us to make this
> > work using Lyceum, so I'm happy to go with that provided we can find a
> > packager - Rahul you said you might be able to help with this?
>
> I can but a few people seem skeptical about the usefulness of Lyceum
> over Wordpress and compatibility issues with plugins and so on. Can you
> list out what you feel are the benefits that outweigh the disadvantages?

I'll try, but I'll also copy Frank to see what he thinks.

 * MU was a pain to get working with https, and looking through this
thread I see Mike McGrath suggest that code changes would have been
required, which would perhaps outweigh the plugin problems some have
reported with Lyceum, especially when on their website they say:

Q: Can I use WordPress themes and plugins with Lyceum?
A: Yes. The majority of WordPress themes can be used with Lyceum with
only a one-line modification (see this guide). Many plugins
(particularly those which do not interact with the database) can be used
with no modification, and for the rest usually only slight modification
is required.

 * Wordpress itself, in my opinion, is less of an option as it would
seem like it would lead to duplicated work for others in the project who
are going to be looking at setting up a multi-blog instance sometime in
the near future. If we get Lyceum/MU working now, we'll save them the
trouble. It would also spare infra the trouble of having to maintain two
software installations.

Umm...I think that's the main points I had in my head, but I can't be
certain because frustratingly I typed this e-mail and then lost it!!
Gargh...

Best wishes,

Jon