Fedora Overview

Jonathan Roberts jonrob at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 2 17:28:34 UTC 2008

2008/5/2 Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>:
> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>
>  [Quick notes]
>

>  that Fedora drives, this has had significant and
>
> > long lasting effects. Some of the recent developments in free and open
> > source software that Fedora has driven include:
> >
> >  * NetworkManager
> >  * D-Bus
> >  * OpenJDK
> >  * FreeIPA
> >  * SELinux
> >  * PulseAudio
> >

>  We can't take much credit for OpenJDK. Sure Fedora has done IcedTea and to
> be in distributions like Fedora out of the box was one of Sun's goals in
> open sourcing it but 95% of the work has been done outside of Fedora. If you
> want to pick a desktop components, there are several others like HAL,
> PolicyKit, PackageKit etc you can highlight.

OK - good point! It was a arbitrary list so we can definitely revise this :)

> > The reverse is also true: by sticking close to upstream development
> > teams, Fedora gets the latest software before anybody else.
> >

>  Not always but usually.

I'll be sure to revise my phrasing here...

>  . Some official versions of Fedora have grown up this
>
> > way, including:
> >
> >  * Fedora XFCE Spin
> >  * Fedora Electronics Lab
> >  * Fedora Developers Spin
> >  * Fedora Games Spin
> >  * Fedora Hindi Spin
> >

>  It is now officially refered to as "Xfce" and not "XFCE" since the historic
> acronym (Xforms) does not even apply anymore. Skip the last one and move
> electronics lab as first.

Oh, I quite liked the idea of showing that people are taking Fedora
and making it local to themselves?

> >  * Fedora Hosted is the perfect location for hosting your project
> >

>  ... your free and open source projects. I wouldn't mind retaining most of
> the references from
>
>  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview

Agreed, it would definitely be useful to work in most of those links :)

I'll wait until there's some more feedback and then take a crack at
revising it with suggestions in mind.

Thanks Rahul,

Jon