New Content for fedoraproject.org

Juan Camilo Prada juankprada at gmail.com
Fri May 2 18:41:44 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 13:18 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:

> On Fri, 2 May 2008, Juan Camilo Prada wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 13:02 +0000, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > > I wrote a proposed workflow in
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PaulWFrields/NewGetFedora which you could
> > > refer to.  It's very important that this page follow some guidelines
> > > like avoiding jargon and asking human-flavored questions.
> > >
> > > I really feel that the page should use JavaScript to present only one
> > > question at a time, hiding and unhiding page elements as needed so the
> > > user doesn't feel overwhelemed by the process, yet the page feels like
> > > it's responding very quickly to the user's input.
> >
> > I have updated the website and now it use some basic javascript to
> > achieve what you proposed.
> >
> > Check http://jprada.fedorapeople.org/out/en/get-fedora to see the
> > workflow in action. Now every step appears right after the previous step
> > is selected (except for the first one). Notice that the second step
> > which let the user select the installation media or spins, only shows
> > options according to the architecture selected in the previous step so
> > there wont be confusion on which "flavors" are available for each arch.
> >
> > Probably someone with more experience in jQuery can do better than me to
> > handle the form as im not used to work with that framework.
> >

> Looks nice.  Two things (and if this was discussed and decided against
> then ignore me).  My clickstream to download from get-fedora used to be
> one click.  Is there any discussions about an expert mode or something
> that just "takes me to the mirror list and torrent" ?

Yest, there will be an option to just show the mirror list or something
very similar to what we currently have, not only for cases like yours,
in which people already know what they want, but to have as a fall back
in case no javascript is enabled in the client browser.

> Second thing (not a reflection on the site design):
>
> We _REALLY_ need to figure out what we're going to do about spins.  We're
> on our second or third release where we have spins... Except we don't
> really have spins.  Exactly what is the problem here?  From
> infrastructure's side we can now build and host spins so I'm boggled as to
> where they are.  We prominantly talk about spins but do we know what the
> demand to build and download spins?

Probably the lack of attention that is given to spins in current fp.o is
what makes us think that spins are passing unnoticed.

In the case of Get Fedora as for every installation media i want the
spins to have a short description so people get to know what they are.

Also I'll be working on the spins layout as i said in the meeting,
although you said something about letting the owners of each spin
control the content/info about their releases. So, i dont know what you
people think about that but i cant get off the idea of making something
like a CMS with a default template in which only content and images
would be customized by every spin owner, who might have something like
an "administrator" panel to work on it.

Anyway thats just an idea.