Virtual FUDcon Proposal

Scott Thistle scott at tekkie.org
Fri May 16 12:07:49 UTC 2008

2008/5/16 Nayyar Ahmad <nayyares at gmail.com>:

> 2008/5/16 Markus McLaughlin <hudsonman35 at gmail.com>:
>
> *Hello to everyone who cares about Fedora!!!*
>>
>> I come to you with a proposal about how a "Virtual FUDcon" could be set up
>> on a web site...
>> When a REAL Convention is happening in a city, a virtual extension takes
>> place as well.
>> On my Linux Blog (http://linuxglobe.wordpress.com,) there is a example of
>> what I will
>> describe is shown, made in GIMP.   A web site is set up with a live video
>> feed, archived
>> video links, a ticker for alerts, and IRC-style chat rooms called
>> "booths."  Please consider
>> using this "Virtual Convention" concept for FUDcon 2009 or any other
>> Convention/Event!!!
>
>  Hi Markus,
>
> The idea of having Virtual FUDcon is nice, but we should keep in mind that
> Middle East & Afircan fedora users might not be able to attend this, because
> of low internet bandwidth & high cost...i am afraid to say most part of
> these contenent might not be able to watch this

I would love the idea of a virtual FUDcon. I am based in Canada, but due to
our only 2 air carriers, the prices for flying anywhere is extremely
expensive (3 hour flight, for example, is CDN $1000+). However, we have some
selection of ISPs and being able to attend virtually would be the ideal
option for us. Not quite the same as being there, but better than nothing. I
would definitely partake in that, even if there was a charge involved for
access to it.