Fedora sign

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 16 15:04:17 UTC 2008

Hi folks,

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> The Red Hat Summit planning group is going to have an extra sign made up
> for Fedora featuring some quotations from the excellent press coverage
> we've been getting.  Kara is working on pulling some quotes for this
> purpose.

So here's another update. I got all the designs that were due today
done. Here are the ones to label the conference rooms:

- preview:
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/collateral/fudcon-signage/fudcon-signs.png

- source:
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/collateral/fudcon-signage/Scribus%20Source/FUDcon-Signage-Source.sla

- printer-ready:
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/collateral/fudcon-signage/Printer-Ready/FUDcon-Signage-Hackfest.pdf
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/collateral/fudcon-signage/Printer-Ready/FUDcon-Signage-Lounge.pdf
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/collateral/fudcon-signage/Printer-Ready/FUDcon-Signage-PresentationsAndHackfest.pdf

And here's the large quote poster:

- preview:
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/collateral/fudcon-signage/FUDcon-poster-f9quotes_preview.png

- source:
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/collateral/fudcon-signage/Scribus%20Source/FUDcon-poster-f9quotes.sla
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/collateral/fudcon-signage/Scribus%20Source/f9banner-better.png
http://duffy.fedorapeople.org/collateral/fudcon-signage/Scribus%20Source/f9banner-better.svg

I'm working on a sign for FUDpub now. (Paul Staffer's suggestion - good
idea!) I figure we can print those full color on letter paper (or maybe
I can get some thicker stuff that'll go thru the printers here) so we
can have a lot of them.

Some lessons learned from this project:

- Scribus 1.3.4 in Fedora is suboptimal. Bleeds and eps/pdf transparency
don't work in this version. mrdoc from #scribus on freenode has a Fedora
repo that will let you install Scribus 1.3.5 which is much better:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/mrdocs/Fedora_8/

- Apparently (I'm not 100% sure on this but I sure couldn't get it to
work) EPS does not support transparency. At all. So I ended up using PDF
1.4 for the printer-ready artwork. Hopefully they'll be okay with that.

- Rendering bitmaps that are 56" x 48" from inkscape is DAMN SLOW. Also,
it won't work at 300 dpi. I ended up doing 150 dpi. If I had the time, I
would have 'tiled' the renders meaning I could have broken the image out
into 4 chunks and rendered each individually at 300 dpi and stitched
them together later. I didn't have the time though (and seeing how
slowly working with the full 150dpi render in gimp on a machine with 2GB
RAM, I'm not sure stitching together the 300 dpi tiles would have been
very easy!) So I had the 150 dpi image render overnight. I used the
inkscape command line to do this too so I knew it was still working. So
if you need to do large-scale artwork like this and you want it to be
blingy past Scribus' SVG capabilities, make sure you have at least one
overnight to get renders done.

- Workflow & Colors: I'm not sure if the colors will come out right but
we'll see. For the conference room signs, pretty much all the design
work is done in Scribus, so I set the Fedora CMYK values in the color
palette in the document. When I imported the FUDcon logo SVG artwork,
Scribus lets you replace colors so I replaced the RGB colors with the
correct CMYK colors. That was easy. The quotes poster's artwork is a lot
more complicated and there is NO WAY scribus can import the SVG for that
artwork, so I rendered it to bitmap and imported it into scribus, and
set the documents target to be 'for printer' rather than 'for
web/screen' and also set it to use color management. We'll see how it
comes out!

~m