open account requests

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu May 22 14:03:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 15:17 -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> We're seeing more people joining Fedora and requesting to join various
> subprojects and SIGs.  I suspect the ease of FAS2 combined with the
> fresh hoopla around the release has attracted people.  Let's not
> disappoint them by leaving their request for a group in limbo.  Yet ...
>
> Some people seem to be requesting group access without first knowing
> what a group is or what they need to do, such as send a self-intro.  My
> suggestion is to reject those after giving them sufficient time to do
> the self-intro etc.
>
> We definitely do not want to sponsor people just because they checked a
> box and clicked Submit.  Save your sponsorship for people who really
> mean to be there.
>
> Also, I'm putting in an RFE for the account system to add a "reason"
> field with the rejection process[1], so we can explain why someone was
> rejected, such as not following the established process at
> ProjectName/Join.  Meanwhile, it is probably a good practice to send an
> email to the person telling them they can re-apply after they follow the
> per-SIG/subproject steps for account access.

Yeah, as a "sponsor" in several groups, I get a lot of email for people
requesting access that I don't rightly know I can approve.  I admit I've
been leaving them for a more informed person to deal with.  Our various
project Join pages don't make it clear that in many cases people don't
need membership in these groups.