Fedora 10 Tagline

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 21:52:26 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Gianluca Sforna <giallu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm already worried by how that will translate in italian...

I happen to like "Fedora 10. Fire it up." Or something short and crisp like
it.

But Gianluca brings up a good point. Special care would have to be taken to
translate "fire it up" correctly -- in this case meaning to start up (which
is how I read it), rather than to set on fire. So defining "fire it up" for
the benefit of those translating it into other languages -- as not to
translate the phrase to come out "Fedora 10: Set it on fire" in another
language -- might be a good idea.

Don't laugh: The advertising industry is full of ad campaigns that failed
miserably because of inadequate translations from English into the
language(s) where the campaign was targeted.

Of course, here in Santa Cruz, California, "fire it up" has a meaning that
eclipses merely "starting up" -- namely, "firing it up" here refers to
lighting a marijuana cigarette or a bowl of marijuana in a pipe. While I am
not advocating marijuana use and certainly I do not partake of it myself, I
can live with the snickers in the neighborhood -- okay, the snickers around
California -- around the reference.

With Solar (which is very cool) and the fire theme so far -- and I'm not a
Doors fan by any stretch of the imagination -- but would something like
"Fedora 10: Light your fire" work? I'd be willing to bet "Light My Fire" has
been translated into all human languages by now and we'd miss the "fire it
up" translation hurdle.

Not a proposal here, just a thought.

Larry Cafiero