what is fedora?

SaadAldine AlSaidi saadsaidi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 11:33:44 UTC 2008

This is an important notice, and a very effective point of view. But when it
comes to debates and hot conversation regarding whether fedora is the
testing playground for Redhat Ent. or not, it becomes a weak point I guess.
But after all, nothing is truly free and to be honest fedora is one of the
most stable releases among open source Linux bases operating system.
Therefore, I usually tend to insure focusing on this point, "testing
playground", and finish its discussion before I go into explaining more
about fedora's features.

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Anton Arapov <aarapov at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 12:56:59PM +0100, Jonas Karlsson wrote:
> >
> > After reading a lot of pressreleases and surfing around reading papers
> > in magazines about fedora, I keep wondering what is Fedora? And
> > specifically what is fedora to the general pulic! Don't get me wrong,
> > I've known linux since before RedHat was born, and been a fedora user
> > since early pre fc1. Why do I raise this question then? Well the tought
> > that occurs to me is: is fedora a community driven project or is it a
> > Redhat EL playground. Today it is both.... But when you read
> > pressreleases and info about fedora in the papers, fedora do not stand
> > on its own. Many magazines writes similair to: "Fedora is the test
> > version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux" and to me that has the sound of a
> > product in development or in beta. Then there are magazines that
> > occationally get it right and talks about a community driven project,
> > and the next thing that occurs is you read a copyright notice. When
> > installing F10 you get a "Copyright (c) 2003-2008 RedHat, Inc. and others.
> > All rights reserved." Well there is the 'others' part... but it do not
> > have the sound of community, well others.... I'm not writing this as an
> > against RH thing, if it hadn't been for RH, 'the linux os' wouldn't
> > progressed to what it is today. I'm writing this because I think it is
> > not entirely clear what fedora is to the general public. This is
> > important to gain ground, to get the message out that fedora is not a
> > testbed product, but a product that incorporates new leading edge
> > features.
> >
> > Am I compleatly wrong or have anyone of you been asking the question,
> > what is fedora?
>
> Fedora is the way how Red Hat contribute to Open Source and Community.
>
> -- Anton

Saadaldine AlSaidi

IT Manager
AlShora International