Getting out the vote for the Fedora 10 election season

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 02:46:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 09:06:50AM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 8:58 AM, Jonathan Roberts
> >> IRC Debate:
> >> Another idea floating around is organizing a candidate debate for each
> >> election.  I can't take credit for this idea.  It should be doable. My
> >> main concerning is how to generate the questions/topics for a debate
> >> format.  This loops to my personal focus on trying to find a way
> >> generate questions from the community for candidates to answer.   If
> >> you've got an idea on how to run a candidate debate for any of the
> >> elections, feel free to chime in.
> >
> > The panel/moderator/audience model would probably be a good one to
> > follow, something similar to the monthly board meetings? I nominate
> > Max to moderate as he does a pretty good job already!
>
> If we do it that way, I'm going to be a sneaky bastard and delibrately
> pre-seed the audience with people to make sure there are at least a
> few questions to ask.  Or make sure the moderator has some to ask.  My
> fear is, a town hall, would be filled with crickets instead of
> questions for the candidates.

In that case there are other, more insidious problems to solve.  We
are going to this length to solve the issue many have raised -- that
they don't know why they should vote for any particular candidate.  If
we give community members a way to discover that and they don't make
use of it, we have to step back and ask ourselves very different
questions.