Getting out the vote for the Fedora 10 election season

Nigel Jones dev at nigelj.com
Wed Oct 8 03:29:48 UTC 2008

Apologies in advance for digging up an old subject but I only just
remembered about this discussion and I'd like to weigh in a few
thoughts/notes...

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> Okay lets agree on a timeline for when we have to think about going
> with a wiki based plan B for candidate Q/A.  I know Nigel is
> superhuman, but things happen, and if the functionality for the voting
> doesn't make it in time I don't want to have this block on pushing him
> to get it done.  And I don't want to drive people to two different
> locations, if I can avoid it.
>
> If the the voting app doesn't have the Q/A functionality by Nov. 7
> should we just go ahead and tell people to use the wiki for Q/A?

> it would help if we could firm up the actual election date, but the
> actual timeframe  (Dec vs Jan) seems to depend on whether F10 slips
> too much or not.

I'm currently working on the elections application now to do this, I may
not get it done this week, but I can sure try :)

Unlike Jeff's suggestion I'm not superhuman, but I'll try my best to do
it by November 7 :)

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>> As a start is there a general need to raise the awareness of the
>> election and voting process we are using?
>> Can we generate general interest material covering topics like:
>> Why vote? How do you qualify for voting? What's this range voting
stuff?

> Yes. I'd suggest this is something we should tackle *now*. I'll even
> volunteer to write something tomorrow and bring it to the mktg meeting
> tomorrow for feedback.
This is actually something I've been working on myself @
http://nigelj.fedorapeople.org/feg

It is _very_ raw and I still have not imported the XML into git (I
should the repo is there and ready), if anyone from Marketing wants to
help let me know, I'll also post a note to fedora-docs-list soon
(I should note that it needs a massive update before it'll be correct
for the new election)

I have one final request for now...

If there is ANYTHING you can think of that can make the elections
experience better for candidates, voters or anyone in general, please
file an RFE at https://fedorahosted.org/elections after checking that
someone hasn't beaten you to it
(https://fedorahosted.org/elections/report/1).

It'll make it a lot easier for me, not having to guess what people want,
and if I can do it in time, it should appear for the Board elections!

Cheers,

Nigel Jones
Elections Guru

(Turns out that it helps to send from the right account...)
--
Nigel Jones <dev at nigelj.com>