Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora

Rodrigo Padula de Oliveira rodrigopadula at projetofedora.org
Fri Oct 10 15:17:43 UTC 2008

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) escreveu:
>> Andrea Modesto Rossi escreveu:
>>> I don't understand the problem...for LTS there is RHEL ;-)
>>>
>>> I Like this slogan:
>>> <<"Fedora is the best of today, RHEL is the best of the following seven
>>> years">>.
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>> Ok. Put this message on the Fedora Official website.
>>
>> For me, it's a bad argument and a very bad marketing slogan for Fedora
>> project!
>
> Or maybe you didn't really understand the goal of the Fedora Project.
>
> Once again, Fedora is not about conquering the desktop / server market.
> It's about developping / building / creating / innovating / revolutionning
> the future of the desktop / server FOSS products.
>
> The Fedora distribution is simply a tool to test and build this future.
>
> 1. If we wanted to conquer the desktop, we would find a legal way to
> provide mp3 and other codecs
> 2. If we wanted to conquer the server, we would have a LTS (which we had
> in fact, but Fedora Legacy died because no one was needing it / willing to
> maintain it)
>
> Regards,
>

> ----------
>
> Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)
> French Fedora Ambassador
>
> ----------
> "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
> safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

I know what is Fedora and I understand the GOAL of the project, i'm here
since 2005.

But i disagree with some points! We can't only think in: "developping /
building / creating / innovating / revolutionning"

It's great for others distros like Red Hat EL and Centos, but for
Fedora, no!

Thinking in this way, we are working to improve other distros.

In Brazil, the base of Red Hat users is Fedora users in the past.

If the companies use Ubuntu, they will use Debian on Servers in the future.

It's happening here and is VERY bad for Fedora and Red Hat. SERPRO is
migrating from Fedora to Ubuntu and canceling contracts with Red hat to
put Debian in your servers, so, less $ to red hat less $ to Fedora
Project.

Fedora i loosing space, users, opportunities and contributors!

Who contribute with a project, want to see you contributions being used
in companies, schools, governments...

--

Rodrigo Padula de Oliveira
M.Sc. Student - COPPE/UFRJ