Estimating the Total Development Cost of a Linux Distribution

John Babich jmbabich at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 21:15:17 UTC 2008

To All Interested:

New whitepaper by the Linux Foundation based on an analysis of what it
would cost to develop Fedora 9:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/publications/estimatinglinux.php

"In 2002, David A. Wheeler published a well-regarded study that
examined the Software Lines of Code present in a typical Linux
distribution. His findings? The total development cost represented in
a typical Linux distribution was $1.2 billion. We've used his tools
and method to update these findings. Using the same tools, we estimate
that it would take approximately $10.8 billion to build the Fedora 9
distribution in today's dollars, with today's software development
costs."

Enjoy,

John Babich
Volunteer, Fedora Project

PS - My son, Mike, brought this to my attention. Thanks, Mike!