Developers vs Grandmas

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 23 15:15:41 UTC 2008

> And I will make quite the opposite argument.  If you are a grandma,
> how are you to know that logging bugs will help your situation?  I
> think this is an opportunity for us as ambassadors to make inroads
> with our families and get them involved in the process.  Without
> average users providing perspective, how do we plan to make an
> operating system to accommodate their needs as well?

"Mummy, when you have a problem with your computer, you go to this
website, you select the component that is in fault, the version of the OS,
the architecture, and then you specify your problem".

Now, if my mother ever manages to fill a bug report ("what does arch mean
? How do I know which component is faulty ?"), it will look like:
"J'ai cliqué sur 'machin', ça marche pas".

Yes, my mother doesn't speak english. But that's no problem as the bug
zappers are great and will translate the report for the devs !

Here is what it means in english:
"I clicked on 'stuff' and it doesn't work".

Yeah, grandma input will definitely be useful :-/

The problem here is that we want feedback from the most basic end-users
with the least knowledge possible, but we definitely don't have the tools
required for that (and I doubt it is even possible to create such tools
that would not require massive human interaction with the end-user).

Not an easy problem to solve...

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)
French Fedora Ambassador