Developers vs Grandmas

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 27 21:21:22 UTC 2008

Luis Felipe Marzagao wrote:
> I beg to differ regarding this comment:
>
> "For example, changing gconf default behavior is in fact changing the
> upstream software. Now Nautilus on Fedora would behave differently."
>
> The  Fedora LiveCD, for example, changes default gconf behaviour of
> turning screen saver lock off, autologin, logos etc.

These changes are made only for the live cd environment to make Fedora
more suitable as a live CD. You would lose them all once you install it
however. It appears that a nautilus change only for the live cd
environment doesn't add any real value and hence changing the default
file manager behavior is different from the other non-persistent changes
you have pointed out.