Secondary mark wording

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 16:00:39 UTC 2008

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/Secondary_trademark_design

Hi Marketeers, it's (past?) time we discussed the wording for a
secondary wordmark.  Having a secondary wordmark, a community-usable
mark for derivative spins, will help drive more interest in Fedora.  It
enables a slew of use cases, some of which I've outlined in a draft of
new trademark guidelines here, which are under review by Red Hat's legal
department:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/New_trademark_guidelines

I made a couple drafts using one of the proposed word marks, "Fueled by
Fedora," which got a lot of positive response when I floated it around
to different community members.  Another great suggestion is "Fedora
Remix."

We will *not* use something tired like "Based on Fedora," nor awkward or
jargon-laden, like "Derived from Fedora" or "Contains Fedora RPMs."  If
anyone's got a great suggestion, I'll take it under advisement and a
good design will have some weight too.  So far the two phrases I
suggested above are the only ones that have had significant flash value
to me and the other people who've heard them.

The actual text of the mark will ultimately come down to three deciding
bodies:  the Fedora Board, Red Hat Legal, and the FPL (me).

The pros and cons of each of these phrases:

"Fueled by Fedora":
+ Alliteration, which we love.
+ I like the idea that the community is an eco-friendly, renewable, and
healthy resource
- May not translate well
- Maybe fueling something is not a clear indication of how Fedora
relates to X.

"Fedora Remix":
+ Relies on the "remix" idea that we firmly established in F7
+ Pushes our tools -- we can establish remix.fp.o, for example
? May not translate, but many cultures may simply use the word "remix"
and therefore a single wordmark serves everyone equally
- Might be jargon, and therefore doesn't promote a community feeling --
leaves out people who aren't "in the know"

Please feel free to respond to this thread with your suggestions -- and
also, dump them to the wiki URL:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pfrields/Secondary_trademark_design
I've asked the Artwork team to look at the designs there and work up a
few more with their FAR superior skills! :-)

Thanks for your time everyone, and I hope you enjoy the opportunity to
open Fedora up to a whole new group of contributors and community
members!

--
Paul W. Frields