Fedora Marketing Meeting 2008-09-25 Summary

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 00:05:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 01:23:14PM -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> Today we talked strategy.  Our summary points are:
>
> * Strategy for the next six to nine months:
> ** Publicize features more
> ** Come up with more stories about people and projects
> ** Use the feature pages and other existing processes
> ** Add appropriate tools and processes
> ** KISS but effective

This is something that I am already involved with deeply, since a lot
of my interviews around our releases center on the features we
publicize on the Feature list already, e.g.:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features

We could try to develop the list of "featured features" as more of an
open activity.  Thus far I've identified a core group of features that
are digestible by the lay press and around which we can build some
interesting stories:

* New NetworkManager, connection sharing
* New improved printer handling
* Remote virtualization and easier virt storage
* Sectool, an auditing and security testing framework
* RPM 4.6, the first big RPM change in several years

These came directly from the Feature List that John Poelstra creates
as the Feature wrangler:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/10/FeatureList

You'll see these in some Beta press that Red Hat's marketing team and
I put together -- but these are just a sample of what's in Fedora 10,
and we could alter this list to accommodate other features as desired
if there's meaty stories to be told around them.  The key is that the
features have to be interesting but understandable in a sentence or
two.