Opening Red Hat Magazine

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 05:57:59 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:
> I'd like to ask folks here on this list a question.
>
> If we decided to open up Red Hat Magazine, so that members of the Fedora
> community were part of the editorial board, responsible for identifying and
> producing great Fedora content for a broad audience, and using the Red Hat
> Magazine voice directly -- would that be of interest to people here?
>
> I'm talking about running RHM completely transparently.  Open editorial
> meetings, an open publication calendar, etc., etc.  Would you be interested
> in participating in such a project?

Beyond the obvious trademark mixing issues already brought up. I would
need to have an understanding of how RHM goes about populating content
now.
Is it
(a) RHM editors have to do heavy cultivating of original content by
reaching into the RH corporate communication channels or corporate
water-cooler backchannels to persuade RH employees to write content or
in some way contract people to submit article?

or is it
(b)Submissions come in organicly for editorial review and the editors
essentially pick and mold articles from the que?

If its (a) we'll need to have discussion about how a public, volunteer
editorial board would be able to do content cultivation without
reaching for RH corporate channels to solicit people for content.

-jef