destructive marketing?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 15:37:56 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 04:11:34PM +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> 2008/9/26 Karsten 'quaid' Wade <kwade at redhat.com>
>
> > One thing I kept reading in recent time on fedoraforum.org is how much
> > of a disconnect people felt between the marketing message for F9 and the
> > reality.  "If they had just said it's a beta X.org and beta KDE, suck it
> > up, it would have been easier.  But they invited all these new users
> > with slick shiny promises and let them down."
> >
> > I'm going to try to address this head-on in the release documentation,
> > with sections that highlight potential and known problems.  I'm not sure
> > what to do about the marketing message except to note that we don't want
> > to undermine our success through over-hype.
>

> By coincidence I had the very same conversation with a friend today. He said
> he had switched away from Fedora because it was to buggy but talking to him
> it turned out he never actually told us that about his problems. When I told
> him that we would be happy to take his bugreports and he seemed to see the
> light. He promptly told me he would give Fedora another try and I told hm
> that we had a Beta release coming out soon if he was up to helping us find
> problems before they tear him down which he was.

Our bug reporting page on the wiki is a bit anemic.  It could be much
friendlier with a step-by-step approach that included screenshots.
(No, I'm not concerned with screenshots in the wiki, as I would in
formal docs.)

Interestingly, the search on "bugs" on the wiki brings up the "Bugs"
page which has been used as a redirect to the BugZappers (Triage)
team.  There's nothing wrong with that, but a "Reporting_bugs" page
would break up the search properly and allow users to be shunted to
the right information to help them report problems.