picture book update

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Tue Apr 14 14:09:41 UTC 2009

In summary, we need to separate CONTENT CREATION and DISTRIBUTION into
two separate tasks.

CONTENT CREATION
================

We need to read over their file creation guide as well as their cover
template generator, and their color cover/interior
suggestions/guidelines.  The sales guy basically said that our job is to
deliver them a .pdf file, so anything we use to create content that can
spit out a .pdf is going to be ok, but he urged us to read those
documents to be sure.

We can choose 7x10, 8x10, or 8.5x11 as the "trim" size.

They are mailing a sample of their work to Red Hat in Raleigh, where I
will be next week to take a look at it.

DISTRIBUTION
============

SETUP FEE -- $75
PROOF FEE -- $15 + $.09 per page = $22.20

1-49 copies:	$9.50 each
50-99 copies:	$9.025 each
100-249 copies:	$8.55 each
250-499 copies:	$7.60 each
500+ copies:	$7.125 each

200 copies will run us $1807.20 plus tax ($9.04 each)

300 copies will run us $2377.20 plus tax ($7.92 each)

400 copies will run us $3137.20 plus tax ($7.84 each)

500 copies will run us $3659.70 plus tax ($7.32 each)

We can either (a) do whatever we want with the books or (b) do whatever
we want with some of the books and put the others on Amazon, etc.

=========

My recommendation is that we continue working to produce the book, and
assuming that the quality of their sample is good, we go with LSI.

--Max