Slogan, redux

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 00:02:07 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Robyn Bergeron
<robyn.bergeron at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 04:09:48PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>> Hi Marketeers,
>>>
>>> There is still some time left before a final slogan is required for
>>> the Fedora release web site.  (Currently we use the slogan "Fire it
>>> up" from the Fedora 10 release.)
>>>
>>> However, during the intervening period since we collected slogans, the
>>> artwork for Fedora 11 has changed significantly, dropping virtually
>>> all of the design elements on which we based our slogan guidance.
>>> This is not a negative comment; in fact, I really like the new
>>> artwork, which is quite different from the earlier versions that I
>>> liked as well.  You might think I'm easy to please, but there are
>>> plenty of people who know me that will tell you otherwise! ;-)  I
>>> prefer to think that our Artwork team just does consistently great
>>> work.
>>>
>>> Now the artwork features a lion (which is appropriate given the
>>> etymology of the F11 release name, "Leonidas").  Since we try to tie
>>> the slogan to the artwork, I've come up with some candidates.  I would
>>> like to open the door for 48 hours for more suggestions.  At the end
>>> of the process, I'll look at the total list and pick from it.
>>>
>>> I've updated the wiki and invite you to put in suggestions.  *Please*
>>> look at the ground rules and try your best to stick to them.  If you
>>> think your previous slogan should be considered, feel free to just
>>> copy it to the new table.
>>>
>>> I'll look at the results on Saturday night or Sunday and touch base
>>> with the list with some thoughts.  Thanks everyone!
>>>
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F11_release_slogan
>>
>> Thus far I really like "Lead the pack" the best -- but I'm going to
>> hold this over for another 24 hours just in case someone comes in with
>> a fantastic late-breaking entry.
>>

> I like this one; however, I'd like to point out that lions travel in
> prides... and wolves / wild dogs travel in packs.  I'm not really a
> nitpicker, and I think it sounds good, but other people (those much
> more vocal than I :) ) may point out that the group of animals name
> doesn't exactly match up with the lion, and make a big woop-dee-doo
> about it.  Just sayin' :)
>
> Of course, "pride" does have some nice double-entendre action going
> for it, so things like
> "Lead with Pride" (or Lead the Pride?) would probably work well...
> "Run with Pride" would have a nice double-meaning (run the OS with
> pride, run with the pride of lions) - but I think the preferable thing
> would be to imply leadership (with lead) rather than being with the
> group (running with... not necessarily ahead). "Innovate with Pride"
> could work too... "Create with Pride" ...Okay, that one sounds like a
> label my mother would have sewn into my clothing at age 5, but I'm
> just throwing ideas out here that fit with the image. :)

> [...]

In my infinite wisdom, I failed to read the whole wiki page (yeah, I
do that sometimes) - so I'd like to wholeheartedly endorse mizmo's
"Lead the Pride" suggestion.

My viewpoint is simply that there are a lot of negative nancy's out
there who might be mean, cruel and heartless about the mixture of the
word "pack" with the image of a lion.  On their blogs, in the press,
etc....