Temporary FI platform

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Fri Aug 14 23:24:08 UTC 2009

Well, that was quick. Ignore my last email - seems like I misspoke.

>> Are the same things that were blocking zikula for the docs team blocking
>> zikula for marketing? Would it be that hard to get even an initial,
>> relatively blank zikula instance on servers that are not covered by the
>> Infrastructure change freeze and then work on polishing that?

After a conversation in #fedora-websites with ricky and poelcat, the
answer to "can we make a zikula-based FI go live for F12?" now seems
like this:

* we aren't sure...
* but there actually aren't any good reasons why it wouldn't work,
* so we should try it until we hit an actual blocker.

The legal things I thought were blocking zikula for us were actually
blocking zikula for docs, *not* marketing. All 3 packages we need for an
FI zikula instance (zikula, zikula-module-crpTag, and
zikula-module-News) are already packaged and legal-happy. And zikula is
extremely easy to set up. I just followed
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_set_up_a_Zikula_sandbox, and in 14
minutes I went from "which packages should I download?" to "logged into
working local instance with both modules installed."

So the next step is to get a test instance up. I'm working on this right
now and it should be pretty quick (I expect to have it up and running by
our Tuesday meeting, given that once I get through all the "join
Infrastructure!" stuff it should take no more than 14 minutes for me to
do this all again). The ticket is
https://fedorahosted.org/marketing-team/ticket/14 - again, I've got it,
but if someone gets to it faster than I do (probably super-late tonight;
if not, Monday) I have no objections to that. :)

After it's up, we're going to need a few testers to learn how to use
Zikula and try putting up a few articles (using old content from F11 as
dummy text) to see how the workflow goes. Robyn, if you'd like to run
forward with this once the test instance is set up, that would be
immensely awesome. I expect people to get confused the first time
through, so the real goal of the first test run will be to document our
confusion so we can figure out how to fix it. :)

(then again, it was way easier than I expected to install, so maybe
it'll be easy to learn as well! I couldn't figure it out, but I was only
able to spend 5 minutes trying, and didn't look for tutorials or anything.)

--Mel