F13 goals and marketing objectives...

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Wed Dec 2 05:27:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 19:29 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> Of course, some of these are fairly simple; I'd assume that "getting
> F13 out the door by XYZ date" is a goal of sorts, and the
> straightforward marketing work we do - one-page release notes,
> in-depth features, etc. ties in with that.  But there are, I'd hope,
> some higher, not entirely black-and-white goals - perhaps things like
> "increasing user base," or something similar - where we should be
> picking tasks to help drive us on the big, happy road towards that end
> goal.
>
> So as we drill down towards a final task list, I think (now, where'd I
> put my soapbox? :D) that it would be great to have those goals out
> there - if we have them - to help us prioritize what we, as a
> marketing team, would like to do.  Because while we seem to have
> endless ideas, unfortunately, we do not have infinite time and other
> resources (money, caffeine, and so forth) - and I would love to see
> the awesome brainpower and resources we do have be put to the most
> effective use.

Throwing some ideas for measurable-ish goals out there:

- Convert 100 users of non-Fedora distros to Fedora as their primary
desktop OS.

- Have 1 Fedora-specific article a month until F13's release dugg up to
the front page of digg.com.

- Get 20,000 views of Fedora video content in a month. (I've gotten over
1,000 on my Fedora 5 fun things videos alone in two days)

- Encourage 100 college students to sign up as Fedora contributors and
each contribute at least one thing.

- Talk up Fedora at at least 20 different LUG meetings worldwide.
('Fedora worldwide tour' hehe). Give away at least 200 copies of Fedora
across these meetings.

~m