Video: 5 Fun Things in Fedora 12

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Dec 2 08:32:02 UTC 2009

On 12/01/2009 12:04 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> It took around 12 hours, but it could have taken 6 or less if I didn't
> end up having so many problems encoding it and uploading it. Everything
> through editing the clips together and adding titles was very
> straightforward. But it was extremely painful and time-consuming to
> render them, and very difficult to upload them. (Even YouTube failed the
> first 3 tries. The first try because the video was over 10 minutes, so I
> had to split it and re-render it, then upload again.)

Just an interlude: I am not sure about PiTiVi, but usually when you
split a video (mencoder, avidemux, whatever...) you don't need to
re-render it, saving a segment with the same encodings should be *very
fast*.

> If we want to make a drive for this I think we need to get the bugs in
> the encoders fixed, and we should also decide on a proper place to host
> the videos (I will say YouTube's caption feature is great - I didn't
> have to set up time stamps at all and it's very close to being in-sync)
> and have some documentation for getting the uploaded and working with
> some troubleshooting information.

Maybe we can get them hosted somehow on our servers, we don't need
streaming or Flash, people with HTML5-enabled browsers should be able to
see them.

Note: I agree is important to put the videos where the viewers are, so
upload copies on YouTube, Vimeo, Blip.tv, etc. but would like to have
also the "original" somewhere is a Free format.