Let's meet! (Marketing FAD 2010)

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Sat Dec 19 21:40:43 UTC 2009

Hi,

Talking to Mel last night reminded me that the team needs to start getting the
ball rolling on Marketing FAD.

We need to make a few decisions here for the FAD to happen, so that we can
even start planning it: Where, who, when.

Who: Add yourself to the wiki if you want to attend, either in person or
virtually. We currently have 9 in-person and one virtual attendee on the wiki
page[1] Knowing the Who will make the Where easier.

Where: A few locations seem to make sense to me, feel free to throw out any
others...

*Red Hat office in either Boston, MA or Raleigh, NC as we have attendees in
the area (Mel for Boston, Max and Kara for Raleigh) and we have the benefit of
having a Red Hat office, which would probably get us easy conference space.

*Las Vegas, NV was thrown out there; cheap hotels, cheap eats, LOTS of
touristy things to do, lots of conference space. Of course, with it being
Vegas, it may take some work to keep things on FAD topic :)

*Phoenix/Tempe, AZ as Robyn's an hour or two's drive from Phoenix, and I'm in
Phoenix. We have _AMAZING_ weather in March (afaik, it's still cold and gross
in Boston and possibly NC in March, it'll probably be in th 60-70°F range in
the Phoenix area.) Tempe is close to at least two universities, one of whom I
can get a contact at easily. I'm writing this email sitting in my back yard,
in a tee shirt, if that helps explain how awesome the weather is in winter :)

*Portland: Portland is open-source friendly, and John Poelstra's centered
there. They also have good coffee I hear, which would be a big plus for a
Fedora event :)

When: Mel suggested a March time frame, which is pretty broad. My high school
has spring break from Sat 13 to Sun 21, so any days in those time frames work
best for me and (iirc) Robyn, as her children have those days off, too. Some
questions: How many days? Do we want a leisure day? What works best for
everyone else interested in attending?

Of course, these questions are avoiding the large and awesome topic, of "what"
we want to do at this event? Mel said we wanted deliverables after the event,
what deliverables do we want? Any other goals?

[1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_FAD_2010

Ryan

--
Ryan Rix
Fedora KDE SIG Member, Phoenix AZ Ambassador, News KDE Beat writer

New Mail address: phrkonaleash at gmail.com -> ry at n.rix.si !!
http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://identi.ca/phrkonaleash
XMPP: phrkonaleash at gmail.com          | MSN: phrkonaleash at yahoo.com
AIM:  phrkonaleash                    | Yahoo: phrkonaleash
IRC:  PhrkOnLsh at irc.freenode.net/#srcedit,#plugaz,#fedora-kde and
      countless other FOSS channels.