Self-Introduction: Neville Cross

Neville A. Cross nacross at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 22:35:44 UTC 2009

*  Full legal name
Neville Alberto Cross Vogl, but as stated on subject will suffice.

    * City, Country
Managua, Nicaragua

    * Profession or Student status
Business Degree (from Nicaragua) plus MSc. in Organisational Change
and Development (from UK)

    * Company, School, or other affiliation
Hotel Mansion Teodolinda (day work/family business) http://teodolinda.com.ni
Central American University (part time lecturer on business and
tourism) http://uca.edu.ni

    * Your goals in the Fedora Project
- Have fun! I have some boring thing to do as day job. An atmosphere
filled with opportunities and challenges stimulates my brain.
- Learn. Since I started using GNU/Linux and free software I learned a
lot every single day. I need new things to keep up the learning
process.
- Give back. I have been given a lot in this community and I think is
fair to return.
- Find my niche. As I am not a technical person I still struggle a bit
to fin my place within the community. I am already helping in
Ambassadors and Freemedia.
- Build a strong community in Central American countries (Guatemala,
Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama). Perhaps run
a "mini" FUDCon or FAD

    * What do you want to talk about?
- Applications: There is a lot of software in Fedora repos that is
useful and is not promoted. Non technical people does not see the
beauty on the OS, they look for a tool to solve a task. I want to say
to every one that Fedora has those tools.

    * What would you like to see in Fedora?
- more stuff with fedora logo, like coffee mugs, disk-wallets ...
probably I am dreaming but I think that using our logo shows our pride
and convince people to use fedora, or at least give it a try.
-more ordinary people tales using Fedora. Show that you don't need to
know every byte of Fedora to be able to use and contribute.

    * Anything else you'd like to do?
- Share my experience dealing with local newspapers, so we can
increase world wide media hits.
- Help improve fedora distribution program.

    * Historical qualifications
I have ran the family business for some years (2001-2005), among other
task I have to decide about marketing, advertisement, promotions and
sales. Now I have give sapce to my sister to lead, but still involved
in marketing efforts.

    * What other projects or marketing efforts have you worked on in
the past? (List what you think is relevant)
- When the University launched the Tourism degree, I was hired as
consultant. Among a lot of designing teaching programs I had to
represent the faculty and tour high schools promoting this class
program.
- I have been working with local user groups, we have earned the
distinction of best Software Freedom Day event world wide two years in
a row. We were expecting get the third but event competition was
delayed and not awarded.
- I have been running a promotional web site listing night events for
my city: http://clickmanagua.com
- I maintain the local fedora page (yes, another fedora page!)
http://fedora.org.ni

    * What level and type of marketing skills do you have?
- I can write (I do it better in Spanish!), I can teach, I like to
think in roles and try to be on some one else's shoes to see if the
concepts proposed are compelling. I can structure objectives, goals
and monitor performance. I have been working conceptualizing web sites
and worked as consultant for a system usability assessment.

    * What other skills do you have that might be applicable?
- I have a amateur radio licence, I am following fedora amateur radio SIG.

As I am a Fedora Ambassador, I already created my FAS account and
signed the CLA agreement.

--
Neville
Linux User # 473217