Fedora 11: What do we expect?

Luya Tshimbalanga luya at fedoraproject.org
Sun Feb 1 10:05:26 UTC 2009

Ashiqur Rahman Angel a écrit :
| <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } A:link {
so-language: zxx } -->

| 1. Need to include RPM Fusion with Fedora 11 default installation (but
not activated, like Fedora test repo or raw hide, as we don´t include
proprietary software). If this is not possible (may be because of some
legal issue), then I´ll say, we need a working GUI solution to install
RPM Fusion. According to RPM Fusion <http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration>
they explained a GUI solution to install the repo, but most of the time,
it doesnt work at all (I myself, tested thousands time, also so many
people there has, who tried, I searched for the solution, everyone give
me CLI solution). And KPackage Kit can´t install it. So we need a
solution that will work for GNOME and KDE both.

Because of legal issue as you stated, Fedora cannot install RPM Fusion
with default installation. User can do it with Installer.  I haven't
tried KPackageKit so I presume it is a bug for that application should
it not be able to install that repository.

| 2. Need a GUI solution to install nVidia and ATI driver, that will
automatically install the appropriate driver (Ubuntu has a GUI /Hardware
Drivers /options that automatically download and install the driver,
also they have Envy, its another GUI solution)

Because of Fedora nature of being free and open source, that option is
not acceptable. RPMFusion already provides those drivers meaning having
extra GUI  for that purpose is pointless. DeviceKit might provide an
alternative.

| 3. Need a GUI solution to install all kind of proprietary Multimedia
codecs (Ubuntu has ubuntu-restricted-extras, they simply select it from
package manager, and it installs all kind of codecs including JAVA)

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GStreamer_dependencies_in_RPM
Fedora Project will never have repository for those closed source or
patented codecs on which RPM Fusion is taking care.

| 4. Need a complete GUI solution to install softwares offline from
cache (ofcourse if it can fix the dependency) or DVD Media.

Already provided by packagekit via Add/Remove Software and editing source.

| 5. There has a very easy way to install a rpm package from CLI (one
single package, that has not any dependency issue or if it has, it´s
possible to install the package by ignoring it). But from Fedora 9, GUI
double click rpm install doesnt work at all. So, we need a GUI solution
of it.

Then it is a bug issue for Fedora 9 which does not apply to Fedora 10.

| 6. Need to add CD/DVD repo with Fedora 11 default installation, so
people can use DVD to install softwares.

I think it is already available as Fedora repository.

| 7. From /etc/yum.conf we need to edit  keepcache=0 to 1 as default. So
people can use the cache to install software later or to some other PC.

How about simply use yum-downloader command and enable deltarpm?

| Many of you will say, why we are following Ubuntu? Well, I´ll say, no,
we are not following them. This is the truth, what users want. And many
of you will think, this ideas are stupid, but truth is If this issues we
can fix, for sure, so many people will start using Fedora. My apologies,
if I am wrong anywhere.

I pointed out having extra gui for each drivers, codecs are redundant
and overkill. Fedora 10 has solved most of issues you mentioned and it
is worth to read documentation about features[1].

Ref:
[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/10/FeatureList