Red Hat Fedora Linux 10 nears 1 million user mark

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 20:21:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 06:54:02PM +0100, Steven Moix wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 22:56 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Two things:
> >
> > 1) Should we get reporters to stop calling it "Red Hat Fedora"?

Yes, politely and consistently, by pointing out: Fedora is released by
a community of contributors, which includes volunteers and Red Hat
employees.  Red Hat sponsors the project and provides substantial
engineering support, but a great deal of the work for each release,
including bug fixing, packaging, translation, documentation, artwork,
and other work is done in partnership by the entire community."

> > 2) The article claims Fedora 8 has more users than Fedora 9 and Fedora
> > 10. Should we look into this?
> >
> > http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/02/red-hat-fedora-linux-10-nears.html
> >
> > "Red Hat's Fedora Linux 10 has been out since the end of November 2008,
> > and is now hovering around the 1 million installations mark. Fedora uses
> > a system to measure active installations that check the update
> > repositories in order to determine how many installations are in use."
>
> The stats are from https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics but the
> methodology got changed since F9. Hard to say what is true :)

To which methodology are you referring?  There is a slight difference
in the way that yum update stats are gathered.  But I've added a row
for that metric that shows the difference between the "mixed" version
and the "new" version of the number gathering method, which is
minimal.

Let's also keep in mind that these numbers -- IP address checkins for
updates are cumulative over time.  Fedora 8 has had about 16 months to
gather statistics, Fedora 9 has had about 9 or so, and Fedora 10 has
had 3 months.  Similarly with many of the other statistics.

It's much better to draw a line between the same point in time for
each release, and if you look at the current statistics, for example,
Fedora 10 is *outpacing* Fedora 9 updates for the same period in time
(12 weeks after release), by about 15%, which is quite substantial.