Fedora 11: What do we expect?

Frank Murphy frankly3d at fedoraproject.org
Sun Feb 1 10:06:52 UTC 2009

Ashiqur Rahman Angel wrote:
> Hi,
>

> 1. Need to include RPM Fusion with Fedora 11

Omega would cover that check announce list, based on F10. iirc

default installation (but
> not activated, like Fedora test repo or raw hide, as we don´t include
> proprietary software). If this is not possible (may be because of some
> legal issue), then I´ll say, we need a working GUI solution to install
> RPM Fusion. According to RPM Fusion <http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration>
> they explained a GUI solution to install the repo, but most of the time,
> it doesnt work at all (I myself, tested thousands time, also so many
> people there has, who tried, I searched for the solution, everyone give
> me CLI solution). And KPackage Kit can´t install it. So we need a
> solution that will work for GNOME and KDE both.

No problems here with Gnome. (EU citizen)
Ask rpmfusion about kde bit.

> 2. Need a GUI solution to install nVidia and ATI driver, that will
> automatically install the appropriate driver (Ubuntu has a GUI /Hardware
> Drivers /options that automatically download and install the driver,
> also they have Envy, its another GUI solution)

google autoten from dangermouse

> 3. Need a GUI solution to install all kind of proprietary Multimedia
> codecs (Ubuntu has ubuntu-restricted-extras, they simply select it from
> package manager, and it installs all kind of codecs including JAVA)

refer to above points, packagekit can handle media-codecs
if rpmfusion enabled, allegedly.

> 4. Need a complete GUI solution to install softwares offline from cache
> (ofcourse if it can fix the dependency) or DVD Media.

You would need a local repo 40+ gb to do that, which no other distro
does either, by default.

> 5. There has a very easy way to install a rpm package from CLI (one
> single package, that has not any dependency issue or if it has, it´s
> possible to install the package by ignoring it). But from Fedora 9, GUI
> double click rpm install doesnt work at all. So, we need a GUI solution
> of it.

Can't you expand on this, I don't full understand the point?

> 6. Need to add CD/DVD repo with Fedora 11 default installation, so
> people can use DVD to install softwares.

That could be workable in "sofware sources" open to correction.

> 7. From /etc/yum.conf we need to edit  keepcache=0 to 1 as default. So
> people can use the cache to install software later or to some other PC.

Don't agree, as updates are frequent, and you already have the dvd from
above.

> Many of you will say, why we are following Ubuntu? Well, I´ll say, no,
> we are not following them. This is the truth, what users want. And many
> of you will think, this ideas are stupid, but truth is If this issues we
> can fix, for sure, so many people will start using Fedora. My apologies,
> if I am wrong anywhere.

Because they believe (debatable) in the concept of freedom,
but won't\don't work towards it's advancement.

Frank