Cuba adopts Linux

Neville A. Cross nacross at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 15:50:36 UTC 2009

2009/2/12 María Leandro <tatica at fedoraproject.org>:
> Hi!
>
> I can say that Cuba is a great provider of ideas for *nix system. They have
> a long time using those OS and making some great ideas happens. The only
> trouble I see is that they can afford a huge pc, so they use things like
> gentoo, DML, puppy and rarely ubuntu (old versions).
>
> I help them a long time. I even sent to them some cd/dvd with digital books,
> tutorials and repos for their issues. I was going to send them some fedora
> media... but I read that they couldn't use it. (please... correcte if I'm
> wrong)
>
> I thinkg that they do a lot with few resources... and have realy great
> ideas; we could get some tips of that.

<snip>

>From technical point of view they may use Fedora with xfce for
computers with few resources. But I think the bigger issue is Cuba as
a embargoed destination. I won't emit any opinion on this matter as it
is a Political issue. Distros based on USA won't send any material to
Cuba.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Export

But I am happy that they are taking steps for FOSS.

Best regards.

--
Neville
Linux User # 473217