Wiki pages renaming

Susan Lauber laubersm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 20 15:51:37 UTC 2009

2009/2/20 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 02:54:37PM +0100, Steven Moix wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I started cleaning up and renaming the wiki pages in the Marketing
> > section, but I have some questions...
> >
> > 1) Is someone responsible for updating
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_contributors ? Couldn't we pull
> > this list automatically from FAS somehow?
> >
> > 2) Do we still need this page or can it be archived?
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_rewards
> >
> > In a more general sense, how do we manage old pages? I flagged a
> > duplicate page for deletion, but for other pages, do we create an
> > "Archive" section and rename the pages to "Marketing archive pagename"?
>
> Pages can be moved to the Archive: namespace, but if a page is so old
> that it's not worth saving, you can put the template {{old}} at the
> top so it's flagged for later consideration for deletion.

Just in case Paul's move to Archive: namespace is not clear for everyone (it
took me a bit as a noob)
Take the page: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_rewards
Which is known to mediawiki as Marketing rewards
Use the move tab and make the new name Archive:Marketing rewards

The guide [1] says to also use an archive category.  Some groups are putting
these files in a Category:<Group> archive others are not bothering.
Archive: is not searched by default but can easily be searched if you need
to find something.
If you think you will reference them some, but don't want them in a default
search for users, you will want a category as a shortcut to finding them all
at once.

Archive and redirection are strongly preferred over deletion [2]

Thanks for doing this cleanup work!

-Susan (wiki-gardener)

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Help:Wiki_structure
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraProject:Deletion

general: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Wiki_policy

> --
> Paul W. Frields                                http://paul.frields.org/
>  gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233  5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
>  http://redhat.com/   -  -  -  -   http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
>  irc.freenode.net: stickster @ #fedora-docs, #fedora-devel, #fredlug

Susan Lauber, (RHCX, RHCA, RHCSS)
Lauber System Solutions, Inc.
http://www.laubersolutions.com
gpg: 15AC F794 A3D9 64D1 D9CE  4C26 EFC3 11C2 BFA1 0974