Making contribution to the Fedora project less abstract

Magnus Glantz mg at hacka.net
Tue Jan 13 20:36:49 UTC 2009

Hello there,

I have an idea and some thoughts about getting more contributors into
the Fedora project (sub-projects and SIGs).

I have 5 years experience working in a larger (30,000 employees) Telco
company trying to get a lot of those people involved in Open Source.
What I've learned is the following:

Most people..
1) ..does not know what Open Source is or/and..
2) ..have a wrong idea of what Open Source is or/and..
3) ..is afraid of Open Source.

So I was thinking, what can convince most people like this, that joining
up and contributing to Fedora is a good idea?

First off.
Joining an Open Source project is something pretty abstract, if you
don't know much or anything at all about what Open Source or an Open
Source project is.

So, I thought you bright guys and girls at Marketing could think
something up :-)

My initial thought was to somehow give people an easy-to-take-in insight
into the Fedora Project - making it possible for people to understand
how to contribute.

For example:
* Feature some fun key and non-key people - What they do, the story how
they became a contributor.
* Fun and inspiring pictures from conferances and etc.

Making contribution to the Fedora project less abstract. Showing people
who is behind the logo.. and what it could be to be a part of the Fedora
project.

This may be information that is easy to access from fedoraproject.org
main page and information that ambassadors may distribute or refer to.

-
Best regards,
Magnus 'magnusg' Glantz
E-mail: mg -at- hacka -dot- net