Help getting the word out about Summer of Code 2009

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jan 15 20:33:15 UTC 2009

Google has decided to return with their Summer of Code program for
2009.  We can expect the program to be a bit smaller in size, making
the student competition part more important.  When we have an influx
of great students and ideas, our mentors can collaborate to make very
strong proposals.  Strong proposals get us the most student slots.

This last year we did a modest increase in our noisiness (marketing)
about the Summer of Code.  The results were pretty good[1].  Compared
to 2007, our best year to that point, we had three times the number of
mentors step forward, three times the proposals, and more than twice
the number of student slots.

Imagine how it could be if more people than just me were promoting
Fedora and JBoss.org's presence in the Summer of Code?

Do you have any interest in:

* Planning a Summer of Code promotion for Fedora/JBoss.org
* Running the promotion

You may wonder, why JBoss.org?  Mainly that I don't think Google is going
to separate the organizations this year; with slim participation
available, they are going to be looking for any ways to consolidate
further.  I don't know who from JBoss.org is interested in planning
and promoting this.  However, the situation makes us dependent on each
other and the quality of projects.  Fortunately, this situation worked
out rather well last year.

More information:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Summer_coding