Picture book....

Ian Weller ianweller at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 21:42:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:47:20PM -0800, Doug Berry wrote:
> Hey Community,
>
> Sorry I did not get back sooner. My friend at
> LSI called my cell phone -- I was waiting for
> an email. Did not check my messages until today.
>
> The gist of what she said is that we can indeed
> do a hard cover full color book, but we would
> have to do so using off-set printing.
>
> And she could not give a cost estimate, because
> the cost would depend on how much color and the
> degree of difficulty for the printer in setting
> up the book.
>
> Off-set would probably create a much better
> looking book, as far as image quality goes.
> It is the industry standard for printing high
> quality books.
>
> But using off-set, each color page would
> require that four separate plates would have
> to be made to produce a color image. Blue, red,
> yellow, and black is the way they used to describe
> it, but now it is CMYK (short for cyan, magenta,
> yellow, and key (black)  We could, however, use
> a mixture of b&w and color pages. Then we would pay
> less for the b&w pages that don't have color on them.
>
> Still, since we are not driven to make a
> huge profit off of each book, we could adjust
> the book price to allow for the additional
> printing costs.

With the current state of the economy and everything I want to make
these books as affordable as possible to the consumers.

I think paperback with color pages is the way to go. But we can vote or
whatever on that later.

More importantly, we need to decide the requirements for photos in the
book. Nicu, can you help us out on that?

Also I'm getting prepared on how tos on uploading photos to the wiki,
release forms, etc. Once that's ready to roll, we'll have a process
worked out for contributing your photos and stories to the book.

--
Ian Weller <ianweller at gmail.com>                  http://ianweller.org
GnuPG fingerprint:  E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226  B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36