Fedora takes care about the planet? FZC Proyect

Diego Escobar dezone24 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 14:41:34 UTC 2009

Hi all:

Is not a secret that our world passes for a critical time: excessive
pollution, the indiscriminate felling of trees, the irrational use of
natural resources, global warming and many other things that have made me
wonder what can we do?

Lot of people including informatics and people relationed with technology
thinks is this a location outside and cant do anything. But it is always
possible make a grand of sand... everybody can save the world.

Regarding Fedora:

   - Fedora promotes some kind of ecology? We do not need strict recycling
   policies or abstinence, from simple things like "the last person exiting
   please turn off the light."
   - In development policies Fedora how we save? Reuse of software
   components is a very common practice. Can we measure it? Can we save more?
   - Promote the use of the Live USB Creator. How well would you do if
   instead of burning the CD / DVD,  use the Live USB Creator using your own
   memory stick? Think about this: every 6 months with each release hundreds of
   discs become obsolete. The USB is a way certainly more rational
   environmentally speaking.
   - What features are in Fedora that promote energy savings? Personally I
   think that Fedora should come with default saving policies stricter starting
   turning off the monitor instead of darkening the screen.
   - What features could be included in Fedora that promote saving and
   efficiency of the system?
   - Planting trees at least 3 for each server 24 / 7 that we have. (Thanks
   to Fedora Brazil)

With this in mind, Fedora could be promoted not only as a operating system
friendly to the planet, this reinforces the sense of community, Fedora user
is not only a computer user is a good citizen.

Now, discussing this inside Latam Community, we have agreed create the
Fedora Zero Carbon Proyect (Fedora Cero Carbono in spanish). The objetive
starting from this simple ideas (and a lot of what we have had) is a campain
promoving Fedora looking to the racional use of resorces and good job
practices.

The Fedora Zero Carbon Proyect was originally created and promoved by
Rodrigo Padula of Fedora Brazil to reduce the CO2 contamination
(congratulations!) and now Latam Community with all this ideas are in the
same way... our world.

So, what do think? Fedora takes care about the planet?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ZeroCarbon

(under construction)

--
Diego Escobar