Proposed business card format changes

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 17:16:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Rashadul Islam <irashadul at gmail.com> wrote:

> Finger print and GPG key is an attractive point for the businesscard.

I'm wondering about this aspect of the business card, as there's a question
about making the full fingerprint an option.

I can understand having the GPG key on a card, but the purpose of having
something the length of a full fingerprint on a business card escapes me.

Would there be a good reason for to have a full fingerprint?

The reason I ask is that we come across this kind of thing in newspaper
work: A reporter would include in his/her article the entire URL of a Web
site, for example (and the following is fake),
http://fedoreproject.org/wiki/wombat/missive/g4itgzb/extreme_lunacy/way_too_long_of_a_HTML_address_for_reasonable_use.html,
and the argument made by some editors (i.e., me) is that it's too long to
publish in a newspaper article because no one in their right mind would take
the time to type in that address.

Would the same reasoning apply to having a full fingerprint on a business
card, or is there a reason for doing so that I've never encountered (and
that's entirely possible, I'll be the first to admit, and I'd welcome the
opportunity to be enlightened)?

I'm just making an observation here, and not advocating either way (but my
cards won't have a full fingerprint, to be sure).

Larry Cafiero