Fedora on Netbooks (Was: Re: Reminder: Meeting in 24 hours, #fedora-meeting)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 19:51:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 09:10:00PM +0200, Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) wrote:
> > The last event that I attended, I got a bunch of questions regarding Fedora
> > usage on various "netbooks".
> >
> > I believe that this is a marketing problem more than it is an engineering
> > problem, because we have a variety of Fedora spins (including the default
> > one) that would work fine on Netbooks.
> >
> > I think we need a simple page -- /wiki/Netbooks -- that offers some best
> > practices/tips/troubleshooting/etc. for people who are using Fedora on
> > different Netbooks.
>
> I also had a lot of these questions at LSM. It turned out people were
> more looking for a spin dedicated to netbooks (see UNR), they didn't
> really want to know that Gnome runs perfectly fine with a small
> display.
>
> Last time I checked, we didn't have such a dedicated desktop
> environment in our repositories, did I miss something ?

This is a great point Mathieu.  As a matter of fact, one of the calls
I got about Fedora 11 on a netbook was from a certain prominent
executive, who installed it on his HP 2133 and said it was the first
distro of any kind where he could read the screen properly.

Not having a netbook, I'm wondering where currently our user
experience suffers, and where we can do better -- although that's not
really a Marketing topic per se.