Jack is Going, Going, Going...Gone!

Colby Hoke choke at redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 17:57:22 UTC 2009

Jack Aboutboul wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> I think I told most people that I wanted to tell privately so it's
> time to tell the list and out myself to the public.  August 14th will
> be my last day at Red Hat and of temporary daily direct involvement in
> the Fedora project.
>
> In 1997 I got my first taste of Linux, Red Hat Linux 4.2, to be
> exact.  It was in the basement lab of the university that I was doing
> research at during the second half of my freshman year in high
> school.  It was at that point the most fun and challenging thing I had
> ever done, struggling to get the kernel to work with the crappy Matrox
> (I think) video card that was the only spare piece of anything in that
> lab.  I aimlessly wandered down that path I had no idea that jumping
> down the rabbit hole would lead to the 12 most pleasantly wondrous and
> amazing years of my life.
>
> Over the last 12 years this love affair has grown stronger and I have
> had the unbelievable good fortune to travel the world, see amazing
> places, explore amazing ideas, meet and work with some of the planet's
> greatest, smartest and most passionate people and play my part to help
> turn Linux, Open Source, Red Hat, Fedora and the concepts of free open
> and democratic commons of content and technology from relatively
> unknowns into the great revolution of our age.  I have spent the
> better part of the last 6 years working for Red Hat on Fedora and
> Fedora-related projects in directed efforts to improve both the state
> and awareness of those things I mentioned.  Red Hat has been a warm
> home and family to me and I am as much glad as I am in awe of how
> ferociously dedicated we have been to our noble principles of freedom
> and truth, while having accomplished, ascertained and executed and
> what I have been able to imbibe, about so many diverse concepts, over
> these last few years. What niche and facet have we not touched?  What
> direction or device have we not influenced?  What proclivity have we
> not affected?  For this, I am proud.
>
> Fedora has been my brother since the day it was conceived.  The more
> energy and time I invested into Fedora, to help it grow and mature,
> the more it paid me back by proving to be the best platform for
> innovation, and letting me be involved in that cause.  Starting a
> community is no small order and keeping it going all these years take
> passion on the part of those willing to undertake the task.  We have
> learned what it means to be a community, to live, breathe, eat and be
> true to community.  To provide, so that others can have, to build so
> that others can build upon and to be selfless so that we can embrace
> others and more importantly so that others can embrace us, virtual
> strangers, and feel welcome.  It has been my distinct pleasure to work
> with every single precious member of the Fedora community, from all
> over the world to help build a very deep and intimate relationship
> [...]
Sad news, Jack. I wish you well in the future - it was awesome to meet
and hang out with you the few times that I got to!

Take care.

--

Colby A. Hoke

[ Producer ]
Brand Communications + Design

"I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing.
Doomed to crumble unless we grow and strengthen our communication."
~tool