Comments about Microsoft and the GPL

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 08:50:47 UTC 2009

Hey All,

While this isn't 100% Fedora related, being such fans of upstream that
we are, we can definitely go somewhere with this. You've probably seen
in the news by now that Microsoft is making a pretty substantial
contribution to the Linux kernel.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2009/Jul09/07-20LinuxQA.mspx
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10290686-16.html
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/072009-microsoft-linux-source-code.html

And if you need a good laugh:

http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/07/20/1643251/Microsoft-Releases-Linux-Device-Drivers-As-GPL

The way i see it, is that we can do one or more of several things
based on this. Of course we can continue talking about upstream as a
path to success, but i'm wondering, being no marketing expert myself,
what else can we do with such a message? Is this a message we can try
to take around to various different people and push extensively as
proof that the system works? Is this even something we can take to
mainstream media even though we're so fond of staying out of it for
the very minimal real effect we have? Or do we ignore it because it's
not Fedora?

Cheers,
Yaakov